During rehearsals for Sweeney Todd I needed to have a project that I could work on that would keep me from getting too consumed with the negativity that was so pervasive in that show. I had tried to knit, but that wasn’t enough — I needed something that appealed even more to my tactile side. I needed to be handling fabric.
I needed it to be simple, and something that I could stop at any moment for my random scenes that were scattered throughout the show (I was on the stage in a lot of scenes, but never for much more than about 45 seconds at a time except for my last two when the plot twist was revealed).
I found this pattern at the Moda Bakeshop and had the perfect fabric to use for it.
I cut squares of fabric from leftovers of a diaper bag that I made for Jerry’s sister, and matching squares from a white-on-white print. During rehearsals I’d pin the sides together, and then I’d come home and sew, cut, and press them. Then I’d pin through the next rehearsal, and come home to sew, cut, and press.
Four rehearsals later I had all of the blocks made, and I was in a much better place emotionally.
I layered the quilt a few days before Christmas and quilted it on December 25 and 26 in a bit of a frenzy.
Tonight, I finished sewing the binding on this lovely lap quilt (that Helen has been BEGGING for as soon as she saw all of the blocks on the design wall in June). I’ll take photos of the whole quilt tomorrow in natural light, but I wanted to share with you a picture of the quilting that I took last week.
Interesting that Helen has been asking for this quilt; usually she doesn’t take much notice of the things I make, but her interest in this one has been consistent. Last night she snuggled under it with me while I hand-sewed the binding on, and kept reiterating that she really loved this one and pleasepleaseplease could she have it. So I guess it’s hers.
Pretty nice start for a new year, to finish a quilt on the very first day. I won’t be able to keep up that pace, but it’s exciting anyway.