Finished: Steampunk Challenge

Yay! It’s reveal time for my entry into the BAQS Steampunk Challenge! When I ordered the fabric pack, I didn’t open it for a few days because I wanted to finish some other projects. When I finally did open it and read the rules fully, I was a little concerned — there was a LOT of fabric in the package and the rules stated that every one of them had to be used somewhere in the piece. UHOH. Initially I was going to do a small bag, but I changed my plan to Dresden Sprockets as accents on a Travel Duffel when I saw how much fabric I had to utilize.

In my stash I had a large chunk of black peau de soie that my mom had used to make a gown for herself for my Debutante Ball in 1992, and it was the perfect complement for all of the fabrics in the challenge pack. It had the weight and heft I needed to suggest leather, without the handling difficulty.

Luckily, it came together pretty quickly…

But it was BIG. So my second plan had to be replanned. The big sprocket was far too big to go on the bag design I wanted to do, so now I had to find a background fabric that would work. Luckily, I had in my stash a fantastic satin-finish cotton that I had purchased a few years ago with the intentions of making a jacket for myself. I never made the jacket, obviously, so over 2 yards of fabric was plenty for the front and back of this quilt.


I had plenty of fabric to make another sprocket, but I didn’t want to overwhelm the piece or shift focus away from either of the two I had started with. So I cut a sprocket out of freezer paper and auditioned it on the background.


Once I had the sprockets appliqued down to the background, I ironed the freezer paper sprocket down and layered the quilt. After I quilted around the paper sprocket, I filled in the background sections. Here it is, from the back. Ella helped, as always.


I binge-watched episodes of the Blacklist, Blindspot, Body of Proof, and Quantico while quilting the background sections.

I liked how the ghost sprocket was looking, but when I got any distance from the piece, you couldn’t really see it. So, pardon the pun, the wheels started turning.


Shiva Paintsticks to the rescue!

I realized as I filled in the ghost sprocket that when the paint hit the black peau de soie, it really looked like metal. If I brushed the peau de soie with just a little, it took on a leather-like sheen. SO PERFECT. I went a little berserk, but I loved the effect. Metallic thread just pushed it that much further.


I finished it, but the density of the quilting meant that I couldn’t really cut it square without cutting into the big sprocket. So I improvised the bottom edges, and bound it with bias binding. Then I started adding metal embellishments that I had in my scrapbook stash.

And here it is! I’m so pleased with how it turned out, even though it’s not what I had in mind when I started.



6 thoughts on “Finished: Steampunk Challenge”

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love all the different quilting in the various spaces… really brings it to life. Also the organic shape is so unexpected and fun. This is truly inspiring!!!

  2. Very Steampunk! This is very pretty. I l ke the effect of the sprockets, the piecing, the painting, the quilting, the embellishments, well that is everything isn’t it.

  3. I think ithe best one of all viewed. Others were lovely but this one definitely stood out. Beautiful work!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *